Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Payaji (Onions in gram flour)

In all sweetness a friend of mine asked me "so what do u snack on?". It's complicated explaining all about it. So I thought of sharing our kind of snacks with you. A typical deshi eshtyle payaji. I love it during rainy days. Reminds me of wet and soggy Kathmandu. I would often expose myself to the rain and enjoy mansoon. Best part was mom cooking tato tato payaji (hot hot payaji). She would stand by the stove, cook and serve me till I was full. Good ol payaji days! It pretty easy. Just have to work little on the cosistency of flour and onions.
Cut onions into thin strips. Add besan (Chickpeas flour- You will easily get this stuff in any Indian store.) Add salt and finely chopped green chili. Well to make it different, you can add cilantro. Add water and make sure your mixture is not too thin or thick. The picture below shows the mixture I prepared.
Heat oil in a pan. Take a spoonful of mixuture and pour it in the heated oil. Turn you heat to medium to medium-low. Turn it upside down and make sure its dark brown on both sides. There you go, payaji is ready to be served with hot sauce.
(you can look for besan @ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gram_flour)

No comments: