Friday, March 12, 2010

Sandeko Vogatte ( Mixed spicy grape fruit)

There are so many foods I could have started with. But a nice sunny day here in Fl, tempted me to bask in the sun and spoil myself with some Nepali food. What else than Vogatte Sandeko. It’s grape fruit mixed with curd and other stuff. Winter in Kathmandu is harsh. Lack of central heating encouraged people to get out of their room and bask in the sun. Bakhundole was no exception. People would come out to their terrace and enjoy sun. After lunch, I often noticed my neighbors in their terrace. Yeah we used to have roof to roof conversation. And even the hawker were well acquainted with this tradition and he would often roam around screaming “Badam Badam” (roasted peanuts). People would buy and enjoy it along with sunny winter days. During these days, I remember me, my sister along with some of my neighbor friends having Bhogete Sandeko. This recipe is in memory of my friend Sangita, who always supplied us with organic fruits and curds from her farm. Days are gone but the memories still remain fresh in my heart.


Let me start with what you may like to add. Grape fruit, salt, chili powder, fenugreek, turmeric, black sesame powder (lightly roasted), curd, hing (asafoetida), sugar. Get your grape fruit ready. Heat pan, add oil. Add fenugreek once oil is heated. After it turns black remove pan away from heat. Add hing powder, turmeric for few seconds and pour it over the grape fruit. The process is known as "jhajne". Add the remaining stuff as to you like. Mix it well. Enjoy!!
(note: I like using mustard oil for that strong flavor)

Well you can just add curd, salt, sugar and enjoy it as fruit salad. You can also add any citric based fruits.


No comments: